Grand Dining Room

William Deery added this room around the time of his marriage in 1820 to Elizabeth Allison.

It’s very fine stonework is visible from the Quarters. A narrow stair descends from the east porch to the ‘Stone or Family’ kitchen where Deery’s slaves would cook and then serve the family meals in the first floor dining room.The three section 1830’s banquet table came from one of the Preston homes in southwest Virginia. Like the table, both sideboards belonged to the Caldwell’s. The Empire style sideboard is particularly important. John E Rose (see link) of Abingdon made it about 1840 for Virginia Caldwell’s great grandfather,
John F Preston.

‘The Rose Cabinet Shops’